National Decorating Month
April is National Decorating Month, and it’s the perfect time to start revamping your home decor. Whether you’re looking to add a pop of colour, create a cosy atmosphere, or update your style, there are many ways to decorate your home. In this blog, we’ll be focusing on four key elements of home decor: wallpaper, paint, lighting, and furniture.
Wallpaper is a versatile and popular option for home decor, offering a wide range of patterns and colours to choose from. It’s a great way to add texture and visual interest to a room, and can be used on an entire wall or as an accent. Here are a few tips for incorporating wallpaper into your home decor:
- Consider the scale of the pattern: A large pattern may be overwhelming in a small space, while a small pattern may get lost in a larger room.
- Choose a colour scheme: Think about the colours you want to use in the room and choose a wallpaper that complements them.
- Use wallpaper to create a focal point: Choose a wall or area to highlight with a bold pattern, and keep the other walls and decor more neutral.
Paint is another popular option for updating your home decor. It’s a cost-effective way to change the look and feel of a room, and can be used to create a variety of effects.
- Use colour to create mood: Warm colours like red and orange can create a cosy atmosphere, while cool colours like blue and green can be calming.
- Consider the finish: A glossy finish can reflect light and make a room feel brighter, while a matte finish can create a more subdued look.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match: You can create interesting effects by painting different areas of a room different colours or using different finishes.
Lighting is an essential element of home decor, and can be used to create different moods and effects. From table lamps to chandeliers, there are many types to choose from. Enhance your home decor with these lighting tips:
- Layer your lighting: Use a combination of overhead lighting, table lamps, and task lighting to create a balanced look.
- Choose a lighting focal point: Without a lighting focal point, a room can appear dull and disorderly and will leave the eye searching for visual clarity.
- Consider the choice of bulb: The choice of bulb can easily be overlooked but can instantly undo all the hard work should an underwhelming bulb be chosen.
For more in-depth tips on choosing lighting for your home, read our blog here.
Furniture is a key element of home decor, and can be used to create a cohesive look throughout a room or space. Simple yet effective ideas for blending furniture into Your home decor:
- Choose furniture that fits the space: Make sure your furniture is proportional to the size of the room.
- Mix and match styles: You don’t have to stick to one style of furniture – mixing and matching can create an eclectic and interesting look.
- Use furniture to create zones: Arrange your furniture to create different zones for conversation, relaxation, or work.
National Decorating Month is the perfect time to update your home decor. Simply by changing one element like wallpaper, paint, lighting, or furniture, you can update a space to reflect your personal style. Or if you are feeling more adventurous, go all out to give your home a total refresh.